Chris Amon Racing.

Chris Amon Racing.

Message par dom465 le Lun 24 Déc - 11:59:54

Chris Amon Racing était une écurie de Formule 1 fondée par le pilote de Formule 1 néo-zélandais Chris Amon en 1974. Les Amon n'ont été engagées qu'à cinq reprises au cours de la saison 1974 et n'ont décroché leur qualification qu'en seulement deux occasions (Espagne et Monaco) et pris le départ d'un seul Grand Prix du championnat du monde (Espagne). La meilleure qualification d'une Amon est une 23e place et elle n'ont jamais reçu le drapeau à damiers.
Historique
Amon AF101 à Silverstone en juin 2007 durant le Silverstone Classic Meeting.

À la fin de saison 1972, Chris Amon quitte l'écurie Matra et cherche un volant pour disputer le championnat 1973. Mais à cette période, il lui est très difficile d'en trouver un et il doit courir dans la modeste écurie italienne Tecno en fin de la saison 1973. Conscient de la difficulté de trouver un volant, il décide alors de se lancer dans la conception de sa propre voiture : avec l'aide de George Fowell et du financement de John Dalton, il entreprend la construction de la AF101.

La monoplace est une synthèse de March 731 (au niveau de la boîte à air) et de Lotus 72E (au niveau des barres de torsion et des radiateurs latéraux) et est construite sur la base d'un châssis monocoque en aluminium avec réservoir situé entre le cockpit et le moteur V8 Ford Cosworth DFV. Amon réussit à se qualifier en 23e place à son volant lors du Grand Prix d'Espagne mais abandonne au 22e tour suite à une rupture des freins. La monoplace montre rapidement ses limites puisqu'elle rencontre de nombreux problèmes en qualifications. En Belgique, Amon ne peut pas courir car la voiture n'est pas disponible à temps. A Monaco, le pilote néo-zélandais se qualifie honorablement compte-tenue des capacités de sa monture (en 20e place) mais ne prend pas part à l'épreuve à cause d'un problème technique. Au Grand Prix d'Allemagne disputé sur le grand Nurburgring, les deux AF101, de Larry Perkins et Chris Amon, malade ce jour-là, signent les deux derniers temps des qualifications (Perkins à 22 secondes du dernier qualifié et Amon à plus d'une minute) et ne peuvent prétendre à prendre le départ. Les Amon font l'impasse sur le Grand Prix d'Autriche puis, à Monza, Amon, seul engagé, est à nouveau hors du coup à 2 secondes du dernier qualifié, Henri Pescarolo. Chris Amon, conscient des limites de sa monoplace, prend le départ du Grand Prix du Canada depuis l'avant-dernière place de la grille, mais au volant d'une BRM. Chris a, également, participé à la BRDC International Trophy de la même année, sans succès.

[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir ce lien]

Dernière édition par Guylaine le Lun 24 Déc - 14:45:50, édité 1 fois (Raison : ajoût du lien)
dom465
Administrateur indispensable

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Chris Amon Racing.

Message par dom465 le Lun 24 Déc - 12:21:14

• Amon the greatest driver never to win a WC GP?

Desperate men do desperate things - or so the saying goes. It seems somewhat unfortunate that the brainchild of Chris Amon, widely regarded for better or for worse as the greatest driver never to win a World Championship Grand Prix, should grace this website. But yet the New Zealander's ill-fated foray into the 1974 World Championship as a Brabham-esque driver piloting his own contraption might certainly be categorised as an act of a desperate man, someone who had suffered so much at the hands of the fate over the years that it was worthwhile taking the ultimate gamble.

Amon's history in the decade before his plunge into constructor status is well known. After a rapid rise in his native land, he was picked up by Reg Parnell's team, making his F1 debut at the age of 19, one of the youngest debuts even to this day. Although he floundered somewhat in substandard F1 and Can-Am machinery for several years, scoring just two points in F1 in his first 20 races, in 1966 he caught the world's attention by partnering fellow Kiwi Bruce McLaren to victory at Le Mans 24 hours in a Gulf Ford GT40, in a famous formation finish.
That year, he had also entered himself in a Grand Prix for the first time, when he raced a Brabham with a two-litre BRM engine at the Italian Grand Prix under the name of Chris Amon Racing. Trouble was, under the new three-litre formula, a two-litre motor was never going to be competitive at Monza, and Amon failed to qualify. But his temporary sojourn as a self-entrant was short-lived, for by 1967 he had signed for Ferrari. Just over three years at Maranello saw numerous non-championship victories, including the Tasman series title in 1969.

But a victory in a World Championship round eluded him, on several occasions heartbreakingly so, particularly at Brands Hatch and at St Jovite in 1968. He left the Prancing Horse at the start of 1970 just as they would start to come good, and joined fledgling March instead. A win in the International Trophy proved a false dawn as Amon was frustrated once again, before personality differences with March co-bosses Max Mosley and Robin Herd saw him depart for Matra in 1971, where he won yet another non-championship race, the Argentine GP.
The Amon AF101 in all her pre-season glory. Picture from 8w. The Amon AF101 in all her pre-season glory.

• Chris builds his team around a simple philosophy

However, there would prove to be more near-misses in championship rounds, notably the Italian GP in 1971 and the French GP in 1972, before Matra shut the doors on their F1 project. Before the end of 1973, Chris had made brief sojourns at Politoys and Tyrrell, as well as a particularly torturous half-season at the young Tecno outfit, which he later said "felt like ten [seasons]". A move into business, investing his hard-earned money in a racing engine company run by Aubrey Woods, proved viable for a short while before it was sold to March at a loss.

All in all, by the close of 1973, Amon had reason to feel dissatisfied. As a driver and an engineer he still had much to give, but he had been constantly denied the success he deserved by factors beyond his control. He concluded that the way to solve that was to re-form Chris Amon Racing and build his own car. Despite the loss he had made from his engine business venture, he still had some funds at his disposal. His aim was basic; in January 1974 he said, "I want to keep my team as simple as possible and I don't want to get too caught up in the organisational side of things. I just want to drive."
He continued, "[I want to] provide myself with a sophisticated chassis, a Cosworth engine, and a small enthusiastic collection of people within the team." That collection turned out to be a promising one. Amon's backing for the venture came from John Dalton, and he commissioned a design from Gordon Fowell. Fowell had not had much experience designing racing cars, and his previous effort had been a rather ineffective Tecno, but Amon had appreciated his work nonetheless. He saw Fowell's inexperience as a plus, in that Fowell could come in with fresh ideas rather than preconceptions.

Professor Tom Boyce oversaw the aerodynamic and bodywork side of things, and the car itself would be built by John Thompson who, without always being recognised, had manufactured cars for Ferrari, Tecno and Surtees from his Northampton workshop. Ray Buckley would look after the Cosworth DFVs, and Richie Bray was brought in as chief mechanic. He had worked previously for McLaren, and also for Ron Dennis' Rondel F2 team. But when Amon discussed his plans with Australian journalist David McKay, a friend of his, McKay suggested someone else who could fit into his team.
The Amon debuts at Goodwood in some unsuccessful tests. Picture from formule1.webz.cz The Amon debuts at Goodwood in some unsuccessful tests.

• Larry, with a solid engineering background, joins the crew

Larry Perkins had been putting in some solid performances in F3 as a young Aussie trying his luck in Europe. He had one mechanic with him, Charlie Coburn, and together they had looked after Perkins' race cars by themselves. That gave Larry the perfect engineering pedigree as well as young-charging driving ability to blend into Amon's plans. Perkins and Coburn were both signed up, Larry as both a mechanic and as a development driver. They came cheap, too; refusing Amon's offer to put them up in hotels, they would sleep on workbenches, saving Chris 60 pounds each time.

Amon's plans, including how he was going to integrate Perkins into his outfit, initially extended beyond just F1. Originally the plan was also to build a F5000 car, possibly with a Holden-based Repco engine, for Larry to race at selected events in both North America and Europe. "Maybe Chris is hoping to sell a few 5000s in America," Perkins said. The aim was also for Perkins and Amon to share testing and development duties on the F1 car and, in the long-term, for Larry to progress up to an F1 race drive by the end of 1975 or possibly into 1976.
In all respects, this seemed like a team with decent funding, serious intentions, good-quality staff, long-term ambitions, and even an eye to future talent. In early 1974, Perkins was bubbling: "If I can do, say, 50 laps in one day in a Formula One I should be getting pretty close to [the pace]. This is where I reckon I'm getting into a good outfit, because I don't have to go in a race and do well immediately. I'll have all that testing under my belt before I look like getting a sniff of a race meeting." But, as they say, the best laid plans oft go awry.

It was not long before the grand plan started to unravel. The money simply wasn't there to support both an F5000 project and an F1 car as well, and very soon the goal of giving Perkins time in F5000 was shelved. The F1 machine - called the AF101 after Amon and Fowell - also took longer to design, build and develop than first expected, but in many ways it was a sophisticated concept. There were some commonplace features, like the five-speed Hewland FG400 gearbox and the Cosworth V8 that pumped out 465 bhp at 10,500 rpm, but elsewhere there were elements that were simply ahead of its time.
Chris on track at the International Trophy. Picture taken by David Beard. Chris on track at the International Trophy where the car was garaged after setting a time good enough to qualify. This would not be the last time this happened.

• Fowell's ideas should work "real beaut"

Firstly, the fuel tank was a single central unit placed between the driver and the engine. While virtually a given these days, back then it was a shift away from having multiple tanks surrounding the driver, and undoubtedly much safer too. The AF101 was the first F1 car to pioneer this design. It gave the car a lower and better centre of gravity, and it put the driver in a more forward driving position. In other advances, the car also experimented with titanium torsion bars in the suspension rather than coil springs, as well as inboard brakes.

The aerodynamics were intended to be cutting edge. The airbox design was optimised after Boyce went to the lengths of testing the airflow inside the airbox. Boyce's initial nosecone treatment was also unique, with a wide, reverse curved nose and a front wing further up the nosecone just in front of the front wheels. The aim was that the front wing would work in harmony with the nose as mutual aerodynamic devices, to counteract life at high speeds. Overall, the AF101, painted sky blue simply because Amon wanted it to stand out from other cars, made for an aggressive, daring and innovative design.
Perkins was effusive in his praise. In his down-to-earth Australian way, he enthused, "[Fowell] has some new ideas for the Amon cars that should work real beaut. He's a real intelligent bloke." But perhaps the best tribute for the philosophy of the AF101, on paper at least, would come a few years down the track from Tony Southgate, who designed the Shadows and Arrows. He said that the AF101 had been the basis of future central-tanked, 'low polar' F1 cars, and that if it had sidepods and skirts it wouldn't have looked out of place amongst future ground-effect machines.

But ideas in theory were one thing, how they worked out in practice was quite another. The funding and construction delays meant that the team missed the start of the World Championship in Brazil, and then also didn't make their next target, the Race of Champions. Testing of the car proved nightmarish. It had inherent structural weaknesses, and parts kept breaking. Four disrupted tests at Goodwood culminated in a nasty shunt at 140mph with Amon at the wheel, when the front-right wheel sheared off as the New Zealander braked because the CV joints in the hubs were rocking.
The Amon made its Championship debut at Jarama. The track was murder on the AF101's brakes. The Amon made its Championship debut at Jarama. The track was murder on the AF101's brakes.

• Qualifies at Jarama, but the brake shaft lasts 22 laps

Chris crashed through a hedge into a bank, but miraculously the chassis had been undamaged. Without enough miles to sort out all the problems, the team could not delay its debut any longer, and went to the International Trophy at Silverstone. There the car did 15 laps in practice on the Friday, Amon setting a time that would have been good for 28th on the grid, before the hub problem recurred. Discretion being the better part of valour, the AF101 was garaged and did not reappear for the rest of the weekend. It was hardly an auspicious debut, but instead a portent of things to come.

Having already missed the first three fly-away rounds of the 1974 World Championship in Brazil, Argentina and South Africa, the Amon team finally fronted up at Jarama in Spain for round 4, by which time the Boyce nose and front wing was gone in favour of a more conventional solution. Despite more brake vibrations in practice, Amon showed that the car did have some turn of intrinsic speed by qualifying it 23rd, less than 3.5s off pole, and ahead of Rikki von Opel in the works Brabham, Tim Schenken in the equally ill-fated Trojan, and two non-qualifiers in Guy Edwards and Tom Belso.
Race day was overcast and rainy, but instead of solving Amon's problems, the vibrations only got worse. Deciding to use the race as a test session, Amon took a conservative approach and was running 21st on lap 23 when a brake shaft could withstand the forces no longer. Chris managed to keep the car off the armco but clearly the whole brake and suspension assembly area was a weakness that needed much work. The team missed the Belgian GP at Nivelles as a result, preferring to concentrate on Monaco four weeks later, the jewel in the crown of the F1 calendar.

There they fronted up with more modifications still. A high-downforce front wing complete with radiator replaced the Jarama edition, and the brakes had gone outboard in order to try and solve the vibration issues. With only 25 out of the 28 cars to qualify, incredibly the Amon set the 20th fastest time, just behind Jacky Ickx in the works Lotus, and ahead of Graham Hill. But sadly the hub problems had not been properly cured, and with the team's budgetary constraints dictating that another accident was the last thing they needed, Amon withdrew and did not take the start.
Chris in his noble steed around the famed streets of Monte Carlo. He would not start the race. Chris in his noble steed around the famed streets of Monte Carlo. He would not start the race.

• Perkins thrust into the spotlight at the 'Ring

The situation, both financial and engineering-wise, was getting somewhat critical. Once again the sky blue car sat out a few rounds, this time France and Britain, in a bid to solve some of its inherent ailments. When they reappeared, it was at the German GP at the Nurburgring, probably not the best place to take a frail machine. There was yet another new front wing design, but in a further complication Amon himself was unwell. He drove one timed lap on Friday, the airbox came loose, and Chris came in having set a time just under 8 min 30s when pole would end up being around the 7-minute mark.

The New Zealander was so unwell the following day that Perkins, whose pre-season expectations about the amount of testing he would get was by now sounding quite sobering in hindsight, found himself thrust into the spotlight to make his F1 debut doubtless far before he was actually ready for it, at the most daunting circuit of all time! Inevitably, the Australian was nowhere near the pace, running the AF101 without sidepods, eventually spinning into the guard rail having set a time that was 15 seconds slower than anyone else and over 45 seconds away from the pole. He didn't qualify.
More soul-searching and another absence in Austria followed, before one last-ditch effort at Monza, where in its fifth race meeting the AF101 featured its fifth different front wing configuration. By now though, even other tail-end Charlies had lifted their game, and the team's stop-start season was costing them dearly. Handling problems saw Chris, who back in he car, set only the 30th fastest time, over five seconds off pole position, and amongst the six drivers who did not qualify. With that, the horror story was complete. Amon's money had dried up, and his dream had rapidly turned to dejection.

Amon the team closed its doors. Amon the driver was quickly snaffled up by ailing BRM for the last two races of the 1974 season, while Perkins retreated to European F3 in 1975 and raised his stocks again by winning the title. Amon won a Tasman F5000 race in 1975 before returning to the F1 arena with Mo Nunn's Ensign, signing up for a full season in 1976 and putting in some awesome performances before Niki Lauda's crash at the Nurburgring prompted him to give F1 away at the end of 1976. A brief stint in CanAm in 1978 for Walter Wolf preceded the Kiwi's full retirement from the sport.
Larry Perkins faces the daunting Nurburgring forest in the fragile AF101. Larry Perkins faces the daunting Nurburgring forest in the fragile AF101.

• Regrets, he has a few: too technically ambitious?

In future years, Amon would look back at his foray into the constructor ranks with a healthy dose of realism, if not a little disdain. "After 11 years of frustration I had clear in my mind what I wanted from a racing car," he would say, "and I took the decision of building my tailor-made F1. I adopted all the up-to-date techniques: fuel tank right on the centre of gravity, titanium torsion bars and so on. But it revealed to be a project far too ambitious for my finances. I was confident that my testing skill would have been enough to develop the car, but every time I tried to drive it, something broke."

In a similar quote in Motor Sport magazine in April 1998, he reflected: "It was a disaster. It was a high-tech venture, but we did it in a backyard. Had we built something basic we would probably have done a lot better, but I was always striving for some kind of utopia, because I thought I knew technically what I wanted. It was very advanced - fuel tanks in the middle with the driver propped forward a bit, titanium torsion bars. I prided myself on my ability to develop a car, but it was so difficult with this one because it just kept falling apart."
Amon continued: "The first time I ran it, at Goodwood, a wheel fell off. The same thing happened at Silverstone, along with a few other bits and pieces. I only had to get in and something would fall off. Being the part owner, I kept on saying "Make this strong, change this, change that," and the thing ended up so bloody heavy it wouldn't have been competitive anyway. It was a disaster because we didn't have the resources to make it work." Perhaps also, despite his testing abilities, he was just a little too rough with the car and a little too impatient to incrementally sort out the AF101's problems.

That being so, there was no doubting his dedication to the cause. During 1974, Chris had also been invited by Bernie Ecclestone to switch to Brabham. Amon later reflected: "I said no to Bernie Ecclestone's invitation to replace Rikki von Opel at Brabham because if I'd gone to drive for Brabham, it would have knocked the morale of our team. It wouldn't have been fair to John or the guys, who were working all hours. If I'd got into a Brabham BT44, I'd never have gone back to my own thing." The BT44 won three races in 1974; if only points were awarded for loyalty...
The final throw of the dice. Amon at Monza before the team closed its doors for good. The final throw of the dice. Amon at Monza before the team closed its doors for good.

• The AF101: from potting shed to Monaco Historic GP?

The one and only AF101 chassis was left abandoned for almost a decade, before it was found in a potting shed in Woldingham by Andrew Smith in 1983, covered ignominiously by some sacking, with the troublesome front suspension rusted and parts of the back suspension missing. Once restored, the car may have been for sale in the late 1980s before it found a home in a museum in Germany, sitting next to an equally unsuccessful 1989 Zakspeed Yamaha. Upon learning of this fact, Amon was known to muse, "Long may it stay there."

As it turns out, it didn't stay there. By the start of 2005, word spread that it had been bought and would be prepared for historic racing. It did not appear that year, but in February 2006 it was displayed at the Stoneleigh show. Although some purists may have been slightly irked by the modifications that had been made from the original, it was good that the AF101 was back in the public eye once more. With the new owner in contact with Amon himself, especially for advice on strengthening its suspension, the car has been tested and is due to make its long-awaited return at the Monaco Historic GP at some point in the future.

Dernière édition par dom465 le Lun 24 Déc - 18:49:18, édité 1 fois
dom465

Message par Modena49 le Lun 24 Déc - 13:07:31

ne pas oublié de mettre l'origine tell que [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir ce lien]

celà nous évite de gros problème merci d'avance.

Je n'ai jamais été un grand constructeur .
Je n'ai jamais rêvé de l'être.
Je reste un artisan provincial.

[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image]
Modena49
ADMINISTRATEUR ÉMÉRITE
ADMINISTRATEUR ÉMÉRITE

Message par Guylaine le Lun 24 Déc - 14:40:38

oui bien sûr Dominique le copyright nous oblige à fournir les lien de chaque article que nous prenons sur internet sinon on peut être accusé de violation de droit d'auteur donc, s'il te plait retrouve le lien et mets-le ! Merci Very Happy

BONJOUR Invité PLAISIR DE TE VOIR !!!
Apprendre ce qu'était hier pour savoir aujourd'hui et faire demain... : HISTORIQUE F1.

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER est le Roi de la F1, jusqu'à preuve du contraire...Il est le plus grand de tous .Il est maintenant = LÉGENDE VIVANTE ...mais dans quelle conditon... ♥♥♥ [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image]
Guylaine
Administratrice fondatrice
Administratrice  fondatrice

http://histo.annuaire-forums.com

Message par Guylaine le Lun 24 Déc - 20:28:09

Dominique pour le lien!!!!

BONJOUR Invité PLAISIR DE TE VOIR !!!
Apprendre ce qu'était hier pour savoir aujourd'hui et faire demain... : HISTORIQUE F1.

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER est le Roi de la F1, jusqu'à preuve du contraire...Il est le plus grand de tous .Il est maintenant = LÉGENDE VIVANTE ...mais dans quelle conditon... ♥♥♥ [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image]
Guylaine
Administratrice fondatrice
Administratrice  fondatrice

http://histo.annuaire-forums.com

Message par dom465 le Jeu 31 Jan - 22:37:10

Quelques photos où les différentes tentatives de carrosserie sont plus évidentes.
Une jolie voiture, je trouve. Même si, comme souvent, les budgets n'ont pas suivi pour le développement.

"I remember when sex was safe and Motor Racing dangerous !" Jack Brabham
"Dans le doute, il ne s'abstient jamais !" (Manu Zurini parlant de Gilles Villeneuve)
"Qand tu arrives en haut d'une côte, reste à fond. Il y a peut-être une ligne droite après !" (Willy Mairesse)

« Sais-tu ce qu'il y a de particulièrement beau dans une voiture ? Quand elle ne marche pas bien, on peut la démonter entièrement, mettre ses organes à nu, découvrir la cause précise du mal et ôter la pièce défectueuse pour la remplacer par une neuve.
Si on pouvait en faire autant pour les humains... »

dom465

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé